Friday, October 18, 2013

Five Questions With: Debi Guthery, Betty in "The Great American Trailer Park Musical"

Corey Perrine / Copyright Naples Daily News
Debi Guthery and Randy Jones in Debi Guthery in the Naples
Players production of "The Great American Trailer Park Musical."

Put on your hard hats folks. And take note. Debi Guthery allows us a peek inside the mind of a musical theatre sorceress. The actress was the first to share her questionnaire with me, but I liked her answers so much that I wanted to save it for the final part of the "Trailer Park" series.

Find out Debi's favorite role, the one part she dreams of playing (keep your eyes out) and find out why she refuses to dish about her most embarrassing moment. And maybe even book the songstress for a party.

Meanwhile, check out Debi's YouTube page here: http://www.youtube.com/user/DebiGuthery

Read our previous Q&A with "Trailer Park" director Dawn Fornara.
Read our previous Q&A with "Trailer Park" actor Randy Jones.
Reviews: Chris Silk ($$) | Bill O'Neill

"The Great American Trailer Park Musical" runs through Nov. 2, 2013 at the Naples Players. Tickets are $40 for adults and $10 for children 18 and under. Call 239-263-7990 or naplesplayers.org/tickets.


1. Tell us about your favorite role to date.

Too many favorite roles to pick from but if I have to pick, I will chose Miss Hannigan from "Annie." I played Miss Hannigan in 2003 and then again in 2010 and I adored every second of that role from rehearsals to performances.


I love playing over the top characters like Miss Hannigan in which you have to walk that fine line of making them silly and funny but still a real person. I also enjoy finding just the right mix of making the audience love and hate you at the same time. It is a real challenge and when it works and the audience is eating it up there is no better feeling as an actor.

Guthery played Miss Hannigan in the summer 2010 Naples Players production of "Annie." Nancy Stetson also wrote a long profile about Guthery and her work in New York City for Florida Weekly.

Debi really loves Annie. Check out her YouTube tribute to "Little Orphan Annie gone wrong."

2. Describe your dream role. Which iconic song, monologue or moment do you want to perform?

The title role in  the musical "The Drowsy Chaperone." Before I ever saw it on Broadway other actors would constantly tell me this is the part for you because once again it is an over the top role. So after seeing the show I was like YES I have to play this role one day. "The Drowsy" as they call her in the show is a woman who likes too drink to much (which I do not) and has been around the block a few times (uuummmm).

She sort of amuses herself with wickedness. I don't think it's really malicious. It's just that she's got a wicked sense of humor, and that carries her through life and that's how she amuses herself. And, she is a grande dame of great achievement in her theatrical career and likes to be thought of in such terms. Plus to top it all off she gets a huge belting song in which I would love to sink my teeth into.

Note: "The Drowsy Chaperone" will run March 5 - April 5, 2014 at the Naples Players.



3. Talk about the top song on your iTunes or Spotify right now? Why that song?


I am listening to a lot of 50's and 60's music right now. I'll explain my answer later in Question 5.

4. What's the last thing you do immediately before you step onto the stage?

Omg I can't tell you so lets just say it is a natural thing that happens when a person gets nervous. True Story.


5. What's next? Where are you headed and what are you looking forward to?

Right now, I am playing Betty in "The Great American Trailer Park Musical" with the Naples Players. I'm also working on putting together a show featuring solo, duo and trio singing acts from era of the 40s, 50s and 60s.

I get stopped by a lot by people asking if I'm singing or performing anywhere and so I thought why not put together some shows and perform at country clubs, parties and other places around town. Plus I love singing and performing, so hopefully it will be a win-win for everyone involved. Stay Tuned!

And as a special bonus treat, we give you this trailer-tastic episode of Debi's YouTube series, "The Houswives of Sweet Bush Trailer Park." The episode features one particular denizen visiting the local PTA meeting, where sparks fly.



Get the full series here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SweetBushHousewives/videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment